Here's the crowd that cheered me through my first marathon (Teton Dam Marathon, Rexburg, Idaho, June 07)

Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Best Race Yet?

Fighting to the Finish Line
My fifth time running the Teton Dam marathon in Rexburg, Idaho turned out to be my fastest yet on the course (3:15), and fast enough for a third place finish. I love running this race because it was my first marathon ever, and it’s my hometown race (no planes, trains, and automobiles!) My family is always there and the comfort of my home is not far from the finish line. My brother was here to run the half, which also motivated me to run fast.

Me, My Brother, and our Families

The Mesoamerica Tour I direct in April/May makes it a little challenging to be ready by June, but since this was my second year on the tour, I knew of some pretty good routes to run in Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize. I also tried to eat light and lost a few pounds during the trip. I approached the Teton Dam race near or at my lowest weight since I started running.

Had a nice barefoot run along this beach in Tulum
I trained consistently and was able to get pretty comfortable with the 7:30 pace, but the wild card is always the four miles up Summers hill near the end. I knew if I could keep it under 8 minute miles on the hill, I could finish near 3:15. Every 10-mile training run I did, I ran up that hill. And on my 20 miler, I looped it twice, something I had never done before.

The race went well from the beginning, the weather was nice, and I just felt strong going up the hill. I had shaved my legs (first time since qualifying for Boston), and I had bought a light-weight pair of Brooks bright-orange racing shoes. I even wore a pair of lightweight socks. I was trying to shave off every once I could to make a 3:15 possible for me on this course.

It paid off. It would’ve been nice to set a PR, but I missed it by a minute. The racing shoes felt a little hard beneath my feet by the end, but the lighter weight made a difference. I was very happy with my time for this course (it’s no St. George!) and it was fun to place third. I think the only way I’m going to get any faster at this point is if I can lose more weight. I’ve plateaued for quite some time now, and the distance running works up such an appetite. I can’t seem to get enough peanut butter toast and chocolate milk.
Finished at last

No comments: